Saturday, October 20, 2007

against donkeys with a flush draw, don't always be so aggressive

Here is the third hand of this S&G. Jesus, I played this badly. I don't mind the call on the button with KQs. I flop a flush draw with two overs. I don't hate the call on the flop. I easily have pot odds on the chance that I hit my draw. Could I get much value if I did hit? Maybe, maybe not. But the turn is where this hand went wrong. Two players check to me, and I think I can take this pot away on the turn, so I bet big. One caller. Why didn't I take the free card? I didn't spend enough time thinking about it, but my general thought was that I'm building the pot if I hit and I also might take the pot away. He checks to me again on the river. Now, I'm dead. Surrender? I could have, but the pot was so big. I didn't really think about this too much. I didn't really put him on a hand. Looking back, the check call and relatively weak play puts him on QJ to me. And considering the call on the turn, I doubt I could have gotten him to lay it down on the river. He told me later he had JJ, which is a bad play on the river to me, he should have bet into me. Either way, the real fault is mine.

This was a weak player. In a step 3 PCA qualifier, it's pretty safe to assume that I'm better than everyone at my table, but I didn't follow my own rules on beating weak players. Play closer to the vest, bluff less, and push with the nuts. And yes, after I blew this hand, I finished 9th on a 9 person table.

The hand:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1608327

No comments: