Friday, August 31, 2007

a small good run

Sometimes poker seems so easy when you're running good. I won a 27 player 20+2 tourney on stars and finished 6th in 180 player 20+2 on stars. It's hard for me to pinpoint what I was doing differently. On the 27 player, I was definitely catching cards. On the 180, I was being semi-loose aggressive, I'd like to think. But more than anything, it was about my hands holding up. I remember one hand where I was in for most of my chips. I was in EP with KK and decided to go for a limp reraise since it seemed like a lot of people were coming over the top of me. Well, not this time. We see a flop for the minimum. All undercards - the BB bets out, I reraise all in hoping to catch him with top pair. He had a flush draw and a gut shot. I feel like I lose that all time. It seems like everyone online always goes after a flush draw. This guy was no exception, but my hand held up. I felt more comfortable as the tournaments wore on since I knew I was against better players, players who could lay down a hand and actually respect someone for having a hand. Maybe that's what gets me - that when I'm playing with weaker players, I need to adjust my style more. Continuation bets, yes. Second and third shells? Maybe not.

I think I also need to adjust my thinking. Even if I get my money in good, which of course is the goal, I still get upset when I get drawn out on. It's like my own Phil Hellmuth show at my house whenever I lost a pot I shouldn't have. The irony is I take those beats just like I should when I'm live. When I was in New Orleans, I got it all in with my aces vs this guy's tens before the flop. He hits a ten. I just ship my chips to him. If that happens online, I start cussing and whining about how it always happens to me. I wish PokerTracker had some facility to see how often I lose with an overpair against an underpair vs me sucking out. Hard statistics would be the only way to show me that it doesn't happen to me more often. I swear to god, I lose those all the time.

No comments: