Sunday, September 2, 2007

handling donkeys - defining player abilities

I've wasted several hours and about a hundred dollars trying to qualify for the million dollar guaranteed on stars today. I'm trying to analyze why. When I'm playing in lower stakes, you end up playing with these donkeys who are calling raises out of position with weak hands and staying in hands too long. As I'm writing this, perhaps I'm not categorizing them correctly. Could they be super aggressive players? Players who come over the top of me see through my aggressive steal attempts. Then they bet into me.

It's hard - I try to play tight and even still I don't get respect. I play aggressive and people come over the top of me or call me from the blinds, I miss the flop (no matter if I hold AK or 86 or JT) and outplay me after the flop. My general idea is that a lot of these players are weak and just guessing instead of skilled players trying to outplay me.

So what is the conclusion? Catch cards? I can't do that. My general philosophy is play loose early, accumulate chips, while the weaker players are there - but then tighten up some when the better players are in but become more aggressive since the better players CAN fold a hand. Maybe I'm just running bad. I hate poker.

No comments: