Sunday, September 9, 2007

Poker sucks

So I did some thinking after my last post. My thought was to find the best way to make money over the long run. Given my small FTP bankroll ($50), I decided to start with the smallest limits that FTP had - NL with $0.05 and $0.10. The players weren't as terrible as one would think. If anything, I'd say that players were generally tighter than they should have been. In terms of making money, I'd rather see them be too loose. So I was unimpressed with my money making prospects at these micro limits. Could I make it over the long term? Yes, if I kept focused. But I hate sitting there and waiting for the nuts. Yes, I could be loose aggressive - but the weird part about these players is that they're tight before the flop and loose after the flop, with trouble letting go of second pair and so forth. I'm stereotyping all players at this level after 250 or so hands. I think my analysis is valid - and it'll become more apparent where I'm going with this.

Then I played some $0.25 / $0.50 limit. I think I could beat this game over time as well. The players are not as weak as the old times when I used to play limit on Party. The donkeys there were ubiquitous. All those donkeys must have gone broke. I found the play similar to NL. Tight play, probably too tight. I could probably beat this game over the long term, too - but it was soooo boring.

Then I went back to my bread and butter - a S&G. I played a 90 player $5 + $0.50. I finished 13th for a small cash, but the point is that it's so much more fun than ring games. I think the 6 minute levels on the FTP S&Gs are bullshit. People can make money on S&Gs. Supposedly that's how Jennicide started. And Zeejustin almost exclusively played high level S&Gs. On Stars, I used to have a pretty good record on 6 handed one table $13+1 S&Gs.

Later, I'll discuss my theories on handling weak players. Perhaps there is some flaw with how I think I should be handling those players. Hopefully, by blogging it out - I'll see what (if anything) is a problem in my approach.

No comments: